Re: AMS Publication requirements

From: Dave Brown (dbrown AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 13:47:54 MDT

    Adam,

    Regarding EPS files produced by NCL, I am not sure where you got
    the 288 DPI figure. There is a PSWorkstation resource that controls
    the resolution of the coordinate system used in PS (EPS, EPSI) output
    files - wkPSResolution:

    http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/hlu/obj/PSWorkstation.res.html#wkPSResolution

    By default it is set to 1800 DPI, which of course
    is higher than the resolution of most output devices. The docs state that
    you can modestly reduce the size of output files by setting this to a
    lower number.

    The only type of plot that might not appear at maximum resolution for
    a 300 DPI output device are raster mode contour plots with very high
    res data or with the smoothing option turned on. There is a ContourPlot
    resource, cnRasterMinCellSizeF:

    http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/hlu/obj/ContourPlot.res.html#cnRasterMinCellSizeF

    that by default limits the raster cell resolution to about 133 DPI for
    a 7.5" image. To get 300 DPI you would need to reduce the min cell size
    from the default of 0.001 to something like 0.000444:

     min_cell_size = 1 / (viewspace_in_inches * desired_dots_per_inch)

    And be prepared to wait a bit longer for your plots to complete.
     -dave