Re: segmentation fault

From: Kate Hedstrom (kate AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 16:13:07 MST

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 04:03:03PM -0500, Susan Marshall wrote:

> I am getting a 'segmentation fault' error when running an ncl script on
> Mac OS X. The script worked correctly when run on dataproc. The script
> reads in an array SST(0,:,:) which is a 180x360 array, regrids this to a
> T42 array 'newgrid' using the example on the web pages.
>
> Looking through the ncl-talk previously posted questions and answers, I
> guess this error results from a memory allocation problem. What can I do
> to get past this error?
>
> An example of the script is attached.
>
> Thank you for your help.

I get the same thing for all but the most trivially small programs.
The thing to check is your limits:

% limit
cputime unlimited
filesize unlimited
datasize 6144 kbytes
stacksize 512 kbytes
coredumpsize 0 kbytes
memoryuse unlimited
descriptors 256
memorylocked unlimited
maxproc 100

If yours are the same, I'm sure you are running out of stack. You can
increase it:

% limit stacksize 8192

or

% unlimit stacksize
% unlimit datasize

Kate

--
Kate Hedström       Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
kate@arsc.edu       University of Alaska, Fairbanks