Re: plotting in polar coordinates

From: Louis Wicker (Louis.Wicker AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 12:27:07 MST

On 10/28/03 1:18 PM, "Constantine Nenkov"
<nenkov@atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Dear Sylvia,
>
> Thank you for the valuable information. I hope that this functionality
> will be included in NCL sooner rather than later. More and more work is
> being done in the non-hydrostatic (anelastic, etc.) approximation even
> for GCMs, where global convetive processes are explicitly computed.
>
> Moreover, as we go to modeling the atmospheres of other planets,
> especially the planets with large radial extent like Jupiter and Saturn,
> such a functionality will become an important asset in the capabilities
> of NCL for capturing the full 3D evolution of the flow.
>
> Meanwhile I'll try to play around with the Polar Stereographic projection
> and try to map my radial and latitudinal coordinates onto the standard
> latitude longitude grid. I believe that even in its current form NCL can
> do the job after some twicking and mocking around. If successful I will be
> glad to distribute such scripts to the wider community.
>
> Once again, thanks for the help.
> Constantine
>

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 murphys@cgd.ucar.edu wrote:
>
>> Constantine,
>>
>> at present there is not means of plotting radial coordinates in NCL. That
>> functionality is prsently in the NCL development list as a "medium"
>> priority item. Priority is determined by the number of people who will
>> benefit from that functionality and other criteria. Current
>> active developments include creating Python bindings, an else-if statment,
>> incorporating the new triangular mesh contour algorhythm into NCL etc.
>>
>> To my knowledge, you are only the second person to request this capability,
>> which is why it is not very high on the list.
>>
>> sylvia
>>

>> Sylvia Murphy
>> National Center for Atmospheric Research
>> Climate and Global Dynamics Division
>> http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/
>> 303-497-1720

> Constantine Nenkov
> Department of Physics
> University of Toronto
> 60 St. George Street, Rm. 609
> Toronto, Ontario, CANADA M5S 1A7
> Phone: work 1-416-946-3019
> home 1-416-446-0805
> Fax : 1-416-978-8905
> E-mail: nenkov@atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca
> http://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca/people/nenkov/nenkov.html

If by radial coordinates, one means being able to plot in polar coordinates,
I think there has been a consistent, albeit low level, need for this
capability.

It will continue to increase, I believe, because the WRF model dependence on
NCL as one of its primary visualization method combined with the convective
simulations, data assimilation, etc. that the model users will do will
require being able to plot radar data in some form.

Anyway, my 2 cents. I whole heartedly endorse the current projects,
particularily the Python interface.

Lou Wicker