file i/o

From: Joshua Hacker (hacker AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 10:38:20 MST

    Hi there,

    I am not sure if this problem has much to do with NCL, but since it occurs during a script execution I thought I'd find out whether anybody has had this experience. With the loop below, I get an error:

    sh: pipe error: Too many open files

    at approximately iteration 500. I am trying to get some information from the file name, and it appears that in this case the systemfunc commands within the loop are the offenders. When either one of these are removed, I don't have any problems. Any ideas for a solution?

    begin

    infiles = systemfunc("ls -1 sgpsonde*")
    nfiles = dimsizes(infiles)

    do ifile = 0, nfiles-1
      thisfile = infiles(ifile)
      print(ifile)
    ; remove one of the next two lines and I am OK...
      ctimestamp = systemfunc("echo "+thisfile+" | awk -F. '{print $4}'")
      cdatestamp = systemfunc("echo "+thisfile+" | awk -F. '{print $3}'")
    ;
      delete(ctimestamp)
      delete(cdatestamp)

      infile = addfile(thisfile,"r")