Question (fwd)

From: Myriam Khodri (khodri AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 10:31:57 MST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:21:15 -0500 (EST)
    From: Myriam Khodri <khodri@budu.ldeo.columbia.edu>
    To: Sylvia Murphy <murphys@cgd.ucar.edu>
    Subject: Question

    Hi Sylvia,

    I have a question about the calculation and plotting of divergence.

    I used the ncl function uv2dvG to calculate divergence and everything
    works well with some of my data and with NCAR_NCEP reanalysis.

    However I have a problem with one diagnostic. Basicaly I calculated the
    dry static energy (DSE) divergence from my model output and from NCEP
    reanalysis to do a comparison. But the divergence calculated from my model
    output is wrong (see figure 1b attached) while the NCEP divergence
    calculated using the same procedure is good (see figure 1a).

    I compared the original files by plotting (ut,vt; uz,vz) for both data set
    (NCEP and CCM3) and they are comparable. I think I'm making a
    mistake using uv2dvG but I don't know what.

    I attached to this email the ncl programme.

    I hope you will be able to help me to solve this problem.

    Thanks a lot in advance,

    Best regards,
    Myriam Khodri.