Re: GRIB PDS length

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 10:16:37 MST

    > I need to read GRIB files that have PDS lengths of 88 bytes. NCL cannot read
    > them, giving a "Corrupted record" error message. wgrib can read the files.
    > NCL can also read the files if I reduce the PDS length to 80 bytes or less.
    > Can NCL be modified to handle longer PDS sections? The GRIB spec allows the
    > PDS section to be quite long, 2^24-1. Thank you.
    >
    > Richard Carpenter

    Hi Richard,

    There have been lots of updates made to the GRIB reader in NCL this
    year. If your version of NCL is version 4.2.0.a027 or older, then you
    may not have access to these updates, some of which might solve the
    above problem. (The NCL version number is echoed every time you run
    NCL.)

    If you are running the latest version of NCL and yet still having
    problems, then if you can email me the GRIB file, or put it on an
    anonymous ftp/web site, then we will be happy to take a look at it.

    Cheers,