Re: NCL binaries

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 16:44:20 MST

    > Greetings!
    >
    > This is Fred Begay, staff physicist at the Los alamos National Lab(LANL). I
    > plan to use NCAR graphics in MHD research at LANL.
    >
    > Question...Are free NCL binaries available for use on the MacOSX system or PC
    > Windows system? If so please send me name of user or users who have
    > experience with the two cases.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > -Fred Begay
    > 505-662-9649

    Hi Fred,

    I was waiting for some outside users to respond with their own
    experiences on downloading NCL binaries for Windows and/or MacOSX, but
    I haven't seen any responses yet, so I can at least tell you that they
    are available and they are free.

    We have a download site:

        http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/download.html

    There's a short form you need to fill out (name, email, site), and a
    license agreement you need to agree to. Once you finish the form and
    click on "submit", you will get a new page with a list of available
    NCL binaries. To run NCL under Windows requires that you be running
    the Cygwin/XFree86 application under Windows, which provides a UNIX
    shell and an X server. As for MacOSX, Jeff Whitaker has kindly made it
    available under fink. For instructions on Windows and/or MacOSX
    installations, please visit:

        http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/nclcygwin.html
        http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/nclmacosx.html

    Cheers,