Re: shared dynamic object modules

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 09:47:03 MST

    > > Thanks Jeff. Now I get the following error when trying to run NCL version
    > > 4.2.0.a031a with a script that attempts to use shared dynamic object
    > > modules:
    > >
    > > warning:Could not find Init() in external file filename.so, file not loaded
    > > fatal:syntax error:
    > >
    > > So has the syntax for creating these modules changed between NCL version
    > > 4.2.0.a028 and 4.2.0a031? If not, what is causing this error?
    > >
    > > Kip Smith
    >
    > Kip and others,
    >
    > I believe that some of these differences may be due to the
    > fact that version 4.2.0.a028 was compiled under MacOSX 10.2.x,
    > and version 4.2.0.a031 was compiled under MacOSX 10.3.x.
    >
    > If you are running an older version of MacOSX, like 10.2.x, and trying
    > to run a binary that was compiled under a newer MacOSX, then there are
    > no guarantees that things will work.
    >
    > I will do some testing and get back to everybody on this.
    >
    > --Mary

    In follow-up to my previous message, I did some testing using an NCL
    binary compiled under Jaguar (10.2) and one compiled under Panther
    (10.3). When I tried to use the Panther NCL binary on a Jaguar system
    to load a simple shared object, it choked.

    So, if anybody is still running MacOSX 10.2, I recommend downloading
    the latest NCL binary that was built under 10.2, and that is version
    4.2.0.a028. I will not be able to provide newer versions of NCL under
    Jaguar since I have upgraded to Panther, and most of my co-workers
    will be upgrading very soon to Panther.

    Jeff W, would you be willing to chime in and tell people how to use
    "fink" to indicate which version of NCL they want to download? I'm
    assuming fink is able to determine that NCL version 4.2.0.a031a was
    built under 10.3, and thus it won't know to not install it on a 10.2
    system.

    Thanks,