new version of NCL available for download

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 11:21:55 MST

NCL-talkers,

I'm pleased to announce that we've released a new version of NCL
(a031). This version includes new functionality, updates to existing
functions, and bug fixes. Many of you have been instrumental in
reporting problems to us, and we appreciate your help. For full
details on what's new in this version, see:

   http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/whatsnew.html

To download:

   http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/download.html

Some items that should be noted:

    Contour line label density control - An internal parameter's value
    was changed to fix the occasional problem of getting no or very
    few contour line labels on a contour plot. This may cause the
    default behavior to change for some of your contour plots, if you
    are setting the resource cnLineLabelPlacementMode to "Computed" or
    "Randomized".

    Updates to GRIB reader - The GRIB reader in NCL has been updated
    to add support for NCEP GRIB tables 129, 130 and 131.

    equiv_sample_size - Fixed a bug for the case where an entire input
    series was missing.

    ezfftf/specx_anal - Fixed a bug that would cause a core dump on
    some systems if the input array had an odd number of elements.

    idsfft - Fixed a serious bug that would cause incorrect output if
    your input array was non-square.

    ut_inv_calendar - Fixed a bug that would cause this routine to
    core dump if invoked multiple times with the same specification
    string.

    write_matrix - Data was being printed in column x row format
    instead of row x column format as advertised.

I don't have all the binaries available for this version yet (the
Cygwin binary will be coming soon, like later today.) Please note
that due to upgrades, I am unable to provide binaries for some older
systems, like MacOSX 10.2 (Jaguar) and any RedHat earlier than 9.x. If
you don't see a system listed, send me email.

Cheers,