linint2 architectural(?) differences

From: Ian Harris (i.harris AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 02:29:46 MST

    Hi,

    I'm using linint2 to perform a simple regridding of meteorological
    data. Details:

    NCL Version: 4.2.0.a028
    Platform: iMac G4, OSX 10.2.8

    I would upgrade NCL but can't upgrade to OSX 10.3.x yet.

    Everything is running smoothly - except that out of curiosity I ran the
    same NCL script and data file on a second machine:

    NCL Version: 4.2.0.a027
    Platform: Dec Alpha, Tru64 Unix

    This gives consistent results until, at certain times, the two outputs
    diverge extensively. Samples:

    Mac: Alpha:

    15.95317 15.71985
    16.20039 15.54939
    13.00524 10.94203
    8.865343 8.151671
    9.372207 10.31664
    15.82583 16.51453
    16.05363 16.62405

    These differences seem a bit large! Is this likely to be a machine
    architecture issue, or simply a slightly different version number (I
    think the latter unlikely since the algorithm's straightforward). And
    yes, I am worried!

    Cheers

    Harry
    Ian "Harry" Harris