Re: monthly->daily

From: Sylvia Murphy (murphys AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 07:39:45 MDT

Mike,
NCL has numerous interpolation functions
http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/ncl/NclFuncsAndProcs.html#InterpolationFunctions

you will need to review these and determine if any meet your needs. As you
stated each interpolation type has its advantages and disadvantages. Which
type will minimize noise and error in your application is best determined
by you.

cheers,

sylvia

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Mike Notaro wrote:

> I have a question regarding converting monthly data to daily data.
> I have Jan-Dec monthly average temperatures and wanted to
> create 365 average daily temperatures by basically fitting a
> curve and smoothing it. Does NCL have a function/script
> to perform this task? I do not want to purely linearly interpolate because
> that would underestimate the max and min of the seasonal cycle.
>
> Michael

Sylvia Murphy EML: murphys@ucar.edu
NCAR CGD/CSEG PHN: 303-497-1720
1850 Table Mesa Drive FAX: 303-497-1333