Re: Looking for information on plotting NOAAPORT Grib data with NCL. . .

From: Sylvia Murphy (murphys AT XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 09:05:35 MDT

    john,

    grib data is one of ncl's supported formats. the means of reading in the
    data is the same as netCDF

    a = addfile("myfile.grb","r")
    varb_in = a->varb_on_file

    the only issue that might come up is that there is no standard for grib
    which means there are many grib lookup tables out there. we have many
    different grib lookup tables in ncl already. these should allow most if
    not all of your data to be read in correctly. it would only be the
    outlyers that would not work.

    i suggest you choose an example from the web and plug your data in to see
    what happens. If it turns out this data is sufficiently different, we will
    need the grib table itself.

    cheers,

    sylvia

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, John Filipkowski wrote:

    > , Many thanks for the help I've gotten so far...
    >
    > Can anyone suggest some URLs or example scripts for processing NOAAPORT GRIB
    > data?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > John Filipkowski
    > Duty Meteorologist
    > AMEC Earth & Environmental Limited
    > St. John's, Newfoundland
    > Canada
    > AMEC Weather Office
    > T: 709-739-7775
    > F: 709-753-2799
    >
    > The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual
    > or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments)
    > may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an
    > intended recipient you must not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print
    > its contents. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
    > by reply e-mail and delete and destroy the message.

    Sylvia Murphy EML: murphys@ucar.edu
    NCAR CGD/CSEG PHN: 303-497-1720
    1850 Table Mesa Drive FAX: 303-497-1333
    Boulder CO 80305