Re: smoothing

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT XXXXXX)
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 15:27:24 MDT

    >Hello. Is there any difference between smth9 and smooth92d?
    >Is there a better smoother to use on 0.5 degree data that is
    >noisy? I was hoping to smooth over more grid points, not
    >just 9 points since the resolution is so fine.

    The dataset you have contains missing data.
    The NCL function "smth9" is the only spatial smoother
    that handles missing data. It can be applied repeatedly
    to obtain smoother fields.

      p = 0.50
      q = 0.25 ; heavy local smooth
      do np=1,npass
         x = smth9 (x, p, q, True)
      end do

    What is the appropriate number of smoothing passes [ie, npass]?
    Experimentation :-)

    ---