mpAreaNames

From: Heiko Klein (Heiko.Klein AT XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 09:27:21 MDT

I would like to make more use of the area database included into ncl
(version 4.1), but I couldn't even find out how to print the included
areas-names.

mpAreaNames doesn't seem to function in a simple way in ncl, and the
database-table under
http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/hlu/obj/MapPlotData4_1.html seems to
be outdated. Though I could use 'Land : Eurasia : Kyrgyzstan', it wasn't
included in the table. The same is true for Georgia, Kazakhstan,
Azerbaijan and Armenia.

I still have some problems with the following countries: Monaco (to
small?), 'Serbia and Montenegro' (to new?). Or do they just have other
names?

It would be nice to see how to access some database-functions from ncl.
All examples deal either in C/Fortran with the database or they are well
hidden within ncl.

Best regards,

Heiko