Re: netcdf to grib format conversion

From: Rick Grubin (grubin AT XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 07:45:13 MDT

    Hello Jin,

    > Hello
    > I wish to convert my datasets from netcdf to grib format.
    > Please let me know how NCL can be useful for this purpose.
    > Please guide me for the same.
    > Thanking you,
    > Jin-Young Kim (jin@cliamte.pknu.ac.kr)
    >
    > Integrated Climate System Modeling Laboratory
    > Dept. of Env. & Atmos. Sci., Pukyong National University
    > 599-1 Daeyeon3-dong, Nam-gu, Busan 608-737, S. Korea
    > Voice: +82-51-620-6287; Fax: +82-51-627-0974

    Unfortunately, you won't be able to use NCL to convert datasets from
    netCDF format to GRIB format. From the documentation:
      (http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/ncl/NclFormatSupport.html)

      "An important point to note is that GRIB is a read only format. GRIB
      files cannot be created using NCL. The main reason for this is that GRIB
      files must contain the IDs of the meteorological center writing the data
      and the model used to generate the data. Since NCL is not a model and
      could be used at locations that don't have a center ID, NCL has been
      designed only to read GRIB data."

    -Rick.

    --
    Rick Grubin                     Visualization + Enabling Technologies
    Scientific Computing Division   National Center for Atmospheric Research