annotation using gsn_text

From: Ertl, John (John.Ertl AT fnmoc.navy.mil)
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 11:10:39 MDT

All

I have a great trajectory plot thanks to your help but I am having a problem
with labeling. I am using gsn_text and I can plot the longitude at the
correct lat/lon but I want to plot both the lat and lon at a point. Right
now I can use the line:

 gsn_text(wks,map,lat_lon,lon,lat,text_res)

Where lat_lon is equal to lon. I really want to create a new lat_lon that
has both the lat and lon for each point.

I am using PyNCL so until now I have been doing all of my array manipulation
in Python but I cannot seem to get an array of strings into the program. I
would like to make the new array in the NCL script that I could then use to
label the lat lon points.

OR

Right now gsn_text outputs the text (lat_lon) with the center of the string
at the lat/lon if interest is there a way to plot the lat to the right of
the lat/lon point and the lon to the left of the point? I could then just
have two gsn_text lines and be done.

Thanks,

John Ertl

  traj_res = True
  traj_res@tiMainString = "Trajectory"
  traj_res@gsnDraw = False
  traj_res@gsnFrame = False
  traj_res@vpWidthF = .80
  traj_res@vpHeightF = .80

  traj_res@mpProjection = "CylindricalEquidistant"
  traj_res@mpLimitMode = "Corners"

  traj_res@mpLeftCornerLatF = 0.0
  traj_res@mpLeftCornerLonF = 274.0
  traj_res@mpRightCornerLatF = 65.0
  traj_res@mpRightCornerLonF = 390.0
  traj_res@mpCenterLonF = 0

  pres = True
  pres@gsLineThicknessF = 2.0

  map = gsn_csm_map_ce(wks,traj_res)
  draw (map)
  gsn_polyline(wks,map,lon,lat,pres)

; add markers to the trajectories

  mres = True
  mres@gsMarkerIndex = 16 ; marker style (circle)
  mres@gsMarkerSizeF = 6.0 ; marker size
  mres@gsMarkerColor = "red" ; maker color
  gsn_polymarker(wks,map,lon,lat,mres)

  text_res = True
  text_res@txFont = 21 ; Change the default font.
  text_res@txFontHeightF = 0.02 ; Set the font height.
 ; with lat_lon set equal to lon I get the longitude for each point plotted.
I want both lat and lon plotted at each point
  gsn_text(wks,map,lat_lon,lon,lat,text_res)

  frame(wks)