Re: self defined colormap

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 09:08:07 MDT

    > How can I define my own colormap, i.e. with a pre-defined color table.
    > Say, I want to use color table "BlWhRe", but I would like to add one
    > more white in between, does anybody know how to do it? Thanks.
    >
    > Liz

    Hi Liz,

    Most of the colormaps available to NCL are ASCII files, and thus you
    can edit them and create new colormaps (or just change the existing
    ones.) The ones you can edit reside in the directory
    $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/colormaps.

    To add an extra white color to "BlWhRe":

       1. Copy $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/colormaps/BlWhRe.rgb to
          a new file in the same directory. Call it
          something like "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/colormaps/BlWhWhRe.rgb"

       2. Edit this new file and find the white color you want to
          duplicate. I believe the one you are interested in is on
          line 53:

    255 255 255

          Make a duplicate copy of this line.

       3. You now have a new colormap, called "BlWhWhRe" that
          you can load from NCL.