Re: Image Conversion

From: Don Morton (Don.Morton AT umontana.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 08:50:59 MDT

I'm going to take the controversial step of "expanding" this
discussion in scope and lists, so folks can blame me, not
Hauss for expanding :) However, these bring up questions I've
long wondered about and have considered asking to various
groups.

If you go to

http://rain.mmm.ucar.edu/mm5

or

http://rain.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf

you're presented with what are, in my opinion, excellent examples
of presenting results of operational models. I've searched the
web for more detailed discussions on how the graphics are produced
(looks kind of like RIP to me) and more importantly, what tools are
used to build the wonderful interface, but have come up empty.

Is there anybody "in the know" who would be interested in sharing
what's "under the hood?" Is this a somewhat proprietary interface
set up just for UCAR, or is it something that others of us could
shamelessly "borrow" from?

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:58:46 -0700, "Hauss Reinbold" <reinbold@dri.edu>
said:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm working on taking model output on an operational basis and
> displaying it on the web. If I'm using NCL to create the graphics
> (850mb height maps, etc.), what is the best and fastest method to get
> it to a gif or jpg format? I use Imagemagick's convert to go from
> postscript to jpg or gif, but the process is slow (at least at the
> density I would like the graphics at) and using going the ngcm through
> ctrans route yields a graphics quality I am not happy with. I would
> like post-processing to take less time than the model run, but I don't
> want to sacrifice image quality too much. I know this may not be
> possible, but I am determined to get the fastest conversion time
> possible with the highest possible image quality. I have done a lot of
> research on this already, but I'm curious as to what some of you would
> suggest as the fastest way to get from NCL postscript plot to jpg or
> gif without sacrificing image quality. Obviously this is a somewhat
> subjective assessment. I realize this may be a little off-topic as
> it's not strictly NCL related, but I would appreciate any advice any of
> you might have. Thanks.
>
> Hauss Reinbold

       ** NOT ON CAMPUS UNTIL SPRING 2005 **

************************************************************** Don Morton http://www.cs.umt.edu/~morton/ Department of Computer Science The University of Montana Missoula, MT 59812 | Voice (406) 243-4975 | Fax (406) 243-5139

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey, naturalist and author (1927-1989)