Re: libncarg and ncl

From: Mary Haley (haley AT ucar.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 14:27:38 MDT

> Hi,
>
> I modified the subroutine wmstnm.f for my purposes
> (metric output) in the source of ncarg. My question
> is: is NCL dynamically ou statically linked to
> libncarg? If it is statically linked, how can I
> integrate my changes to wmstnm.f into NCL?
>
> Thanks
>
> =====
> ------------
> Christian Pagé

Christian,

I'm afraid there isn't an easy way to incorporate your changes back
into NCL. You would either need to be able to regenerate the NCL
executable with the new wmstnm.o or you would need to turn wmstnm.f
into a shared object that you can call from NCL. The first option is
not possible because you don't have all the source necessary to create
a new NCL executable. The second option is not possible because
"wmstnm.f" interfaces directly with NCAR Graphics, and there are a few
things you need to do to it in order to get the station model data
drawn to the correct workstation.

I will contact you separately with a solution in which I will give you
a C routine that will enable you to create a shared object from
this routine.