Other syntax highlighting options: NCL vim syntax

From: Derrick Snowden (Derrick.Snowden AT noaa.gov)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 11:11:20 MDT

All,

I can't remember where I got this file, it may have been from this list
sometime ago.

Anyway, attached is a syntax highlighting definition file for the "jedit" text
editor (www.jedit.org). I've given up on emacs and never liked vi. If
there's anyone who feels similarly you may want to try jedit, which is built
with java and is available for all platforms.

To use it on a linux/unix machine, place ncl.xml in your ~/.jedit/modes
directory and add the following line to your ~/.jedit/modes/catalog file.

<MODE NAME="ncl" FILE="ncl.xml" FILE_NAME_GLOB="*.[nN][cC][lL]" />

The Mac OS/X and Windows instructions are probably similar.

Altering this file to be a KDE/Kate syntax definition file shouldn't be hard,
but I haven't actually done it. Any other editors out there???

Good Luck,
Derrick

On Thu September 9 2004 04:12 pm, Sylvia Murphy wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> I presume vim is some type of vi. I already have an emacs syntax file on
> the web, so I will add your to it. Thanks for doing this!
>
> sylvia
>
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Kevin Mueller wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I took the time to write a very basic vim syntax file for NCL. If
> > anyone else was looking for this, I attach it here. Also, if anyone is
> > willing to provide a better syntax file, I would be grateful.
> >
> > To set up the vim syntax file, add the ncl.vim file to your .vim/syntax
> > directory. Then add the following two lines to your .vimrc:
> >
> > au BufRead,BufNewFile *.ncl set filetype=ncl
> > au! Syntax newlang source $VIM/ncl.vim
> >
> > Kevin Mueller
> > Dept. Atmospheric Science, Univ. Illinois

> Sylvia Murphy EML: murphys@ucar.edu
> NCAR CGD/CSEG PHN: 303-497-1720
> 1850 Table Mesa Drive FAX: 303-497-1333
> Boulder CO 80305