Re: ncl binaries

From: Mary Haley (haley AT ucar.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 08:35:42 MDT

    > Hi Mary et al,
    >
    > It's been a little while since I've used NCL regularly. I've seen a few
    > messages on the Fedora Core 2 issue and was wondering what the status is with
    > the fix? I also wanted to download the latest version of NCL with DODS
    > support even if the FC2 issue isn't fixed. I have access to an FC1 system
    > and I know the old NCL version I had worked on FC1.

    Hi Derrick,

    I'm not an FC expert (and our current FC expert is out-of-office until
    tomorrow), but I believe that as long as you are running the same
    version of the GNU compilers (we are running 3.2.2), you should be
    able to use an NCL binary on either FC1 or 2. It's been awhile since
    we released a new NCL binary, and I honestly don't remember if the
    last binary was built with GNU 3.2.2 or something older.

    If you have GNU 3.2.2, send me an email off-line, and I'll get you
    a new NCL binary.

    > Last, any updates to PyNGL will be appreciated too.

    For those unfamiliar with PyNGL, it's a Python language module
    designed for the visualization of data, and it uses the same graphics
    libraries that NCL does. PyNGL, which is pronounced "pingle," stands
    for "Python Interface to the NCL Graphics Libraries."

    We are moving into beta testing and have created some more complex
    examples and a Python script called "pynglex" for running these
    examples. We hope to make an official announcement once we get some
    distribution issues sorted out. But, again, send me an email if you
    want to test the latest PyNGL now.

    > Regarding PyNGL, I haven't tested it extensively, but is it safe to
    > say that every low level object in NCL is also present in PyNGL?

    If I understand what you mean by low level objects, then any graphic
    object you can create with a pure NCL script you can also create with
    PyNGL. I believe we have fully implemented a Python version of the HLU
    library, which gives you access to all of NCL's graphical objects and
    routines for overlaying and annotating them.

    > I know the gsn_* interfaces are not available, but presumably I could
    > create gsn* style plots if I understood how the gsn_* functions were
    > built from low level objects. I don't want to reproduce the whole gsn
    > library just a few select plots and I'm trying to figure out if it's
    > worth pursuing.

    Actually, PyNGL versions of some of the low level gsn_* scripts are
    available, like "ngl_contour", "ngl_contour_map", "ngl_vector",
    "ngl_panel", etc. It's the "gsn_csm" scripts that are not available
    in PyNGL, but we hope to remedy this.

    For the full documentation on PyNGL, please see:

        http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/pyngl/

    This URL may change, as this is just a temporary holding place.

    > Thanks very much,
    > Derrick

    Thanks for your interest in NCL and PyNGL!

    --Mary