Re: gsnZonalMean and the age of resources

From: Mary Haley (haley AT ucar.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 08:19:57 MST

    > Hi,
    >
    > I tried using the resource gsnZonalMean, to no avail:
    >
    > warning:gsnZonalMean is not a valid resource in (my plot) at this time
    >
    > Could this mean that my NCL version is so outdated that it does not know
    > the resource?
    > I am running ncl-4.2.0 dated July 2003 on the local system.
    >
    > Is there a more general way to check what resources may (not) be included
    > in any NCL version?
    >
    > Thanx for your help.
    >
    > alessandra

    Dear Alessandra,

    The gsnZonalMean resource has been in the code for at least 2 years.

    Your NCL is dated July 2003, but this doesn't necessarily mean that
    you have a version that is a year old. I don't recognize version
    "ncl-4.2.0", so please double-check the version number that NCL is
    reporting, and then look on the page:

       http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/whatsnew.html

    to see when your version was released.

    The gsnZonalMean resource is only recognized by the
    gsn_csm_contour_map_ce function, however, so if you are trying to use
    it with a different function, it won't work.

    There's not an easy way to tell which resources are recognized by which
    versions of NCL, but you can tell if a resource is recognized by
    your version of NCL by grepping for it:

      grep gsnZonalMean $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_*.ncl