Re: NCL to html routine

From: Sylvia Murphy (murphys AT cgd.ucar.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 08:41:27 MST

    Harun,

    we should clarify a few things for others on the ncl-talk list.

    HTML is the hypertext markup language used to generate the text associated
    with web pages. Images such as NCL produces can be imbedded in an HTML
    document but they are not HTML. that is a separate beast.

    I think your real question is how to imbed an image produced by NCL into a
    web document. Most internet browsers can display various types of image
    formats. The most common are *.png, *.pdf, *.jpg, and *.gif

    NCL can output various types of image formats (ps, eps, epsi, pdf, and
    ncgm).

    Most of our users who put their NCL images on the web convert from
    postscript (ps) which is the best quality to gif or png using an external
    public domain conversion tool. Here at NCAR this is ImageMagik's convert
    utility. I believe this software works on both pc's and unix/linux boxes.

    While convert is external software, you can call convert (or any other
    system command) within an NCL script using the system() function.
    Personally, I perfer to call this outside of NCL but that is merely my
    cosmetic preference.

    sylvia

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Harun Rashid wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was wondering if there is any utility function/routine that would convert
    > NCL outputs (i.e., plots) into html. Basically, I would like to put the
    > plots produced by my NCL scripts into a web page. At this stage, I can think
    > of doing this by preparing a Latex source file containg the eps/pdf files
    > and then using 'latex2html' to convert the files to html. But, I guess there
    > must be a more straightforward way of doing this, perhaps directly from NCL.
    > Any help on this matter would be appreciated.
    >
    > Harun

    > Dr. M. Harun Ar Rashid
    > Bureau of Meteorology Research Centre Email: h.rashid@bom.gov.au
    > PO Box 1289K Tel : +61 3
    > 9669 4550
    > Melbourne, Victoria 3001 Fax : +61 3 9669
    > 4660
    > Australia
    > http://www.bom.gov.au/bmrc

    Sylvia Murphy EML: murphys@ucar.edu