Need help producing scatterplot over a map background, with marke r color set by point value...

From: John Filipkowski (john.filipkowski AT amec.com)
Date: Sun Dec 12 2004 - 13:14:01 MST

Hi all,

First, many thanks for the help I've received in the past.

I'm trying to plot radar intensities on a map. The data
is supplied as 3 1-D arrays: latitudes, longitudes, and intensity values (0
- 10 relative units).

The following code snippet should illustrate what I'm trying to do...
After plotting a map, I plot the radar points, color-coded by relative
intensity,
using a do-loop: (some code below is omitted for clarity)...

Data:
lat 1-D array (NUMPT)
lon "
radar "

do i = 0, NUMPT -1

   blon = lon(i)
   blat = lat(i)

   val = radar(i)

   if( val .gt. 3.98 ) then
       txtres@txFontColor = (/"red"/)
   else
      if ... etc... Set marker color by relative radar intensity value...

   end if
text = gsn_add_text(wks, plot, "." , blon, blat, txtres)

end do

I'm finding for 1-D arrays of 40 - 50,000 points, the Linux system I'm using
takes upwards of 30 minutes to produce a plot. I'm trying to find a better
way to do this through Google searches, but I keep running into dead links,
etc.

Can anyone suggest a simpler, faster, alternative?

Thanks again...

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents.
If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete and destroy the message.