NCL binaries moved to new location

From: Mary Haley (haley AT ucar.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 09:13:50 MST

    Dear NCL-talkers,

    In an attempt to collect better metrics on NCL usage and thus
    determine future directions for NCL, we are moving the NCL binaries to
    the Earth System Grid (ESG) website, effective immediately.

    For those of you unfamiliar with the Earth System Grid:

       The Earth System Grid (ESG) integrates supercomputers with
       large-scale data and analysis servers located at numerous national
       labs and research centers to create a powerful environment for
       next generation climate research.

    Downloading NCL from the ESG requires an account registration with a
    name and password, and a short form to fill out. Before you download
    your first NCL binary, you will also be required to agree to the NCL
    license agreement (just like on the old site). For subsequent
    downloads of NCL, however, all that will be required is your login and
    password; you will no longer need to fill out a form or agree to the
    license!

    The ESG registration information is used solely for generating usage
    metrics, and will NOT be given out to anybody. Registration will also
    give you free and immediate access to numerous datasets.

    The NCL download site:

          http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/download.html

    has a link to the new site, along with the usual instructions on how
    to install the software.

    Even if you don't need to download NCL right away, you can register at
    the ESG site any time. Your registration is very important to us,
    so we are asking all current users to register if they have the time.

    To register, go to:

        http://earthsystemgrid.org/

    and look on the left side of the page under "ESG News" about
    requesting an account.

    We appreciate your time, and feel free to email me with any questions.

    --Mary Haley
       Project Head, NCL