Downsizing a ncdf file

From: Adolf Stips (adolf.stips AT jrc.it)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 02:15:35 MST

Dear All,

I have model output ncdf files (lat,lon,time,levels and parameters),
on say 5x5 minute grid (limited domain).
I want to calculate area mean values for eg. 15x15 grid.
I know ncks, extracts for example every third lat x lon,
but I want the mean values. So I didn't find a way
to do it with nco.
(E.g extracting 3 times with ncks (shifted start) and
averaging with ncea the 3 files, gives the mean values, but
the coordinates are not averaged, further the handling of missing values
creates another problem)

Does anybody know code from NCL or..
which would perform just this and may be general enough to
be applied on rather arbitrary (my) ncdf files.

Thanks, Adolf

Adolf Stips
Inland and Marine Waters unit
CEC Joint Research Centre, TP 272
I-21020 Ispra, Italy
Tel: +39-0332-789876
Fax: +39-0332-789034
"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and
may not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an
official position of the European Commission."
(Disclaimer required under the terms and conditions of
use of the internet and electronic mail from Commission
equipment)