the difference between new eof function and old eof function

From: Jing (yangjing AT mail.iap.ac.cn)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 15:37:07 MST

Hi, NCl experts

I found a problem when I made EOF analysis with NCL eof function.

The following is my ncl programm with old version:
 load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"

begin
 f = addfile("sst_50-03_original.nc","r")

  ss =f->sano

;begin eof via co-variance matrix

  neval = 4
  eof = eofcov(ss,neval)

  pcvar = eof@pcvar
  print(pcvar)

  end
output results:
Variable: pcvar
Type: float
Total Size: 16 bytes
            4 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes: [4]
Coordinates:
(0) 26.49188
(1) 15.10827
(2) 8.423062
(3) 6.310274

My programm with new version is as follows:
 load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"

begin
 f = addfile("sst_50-03_original.nc","r")

  ss =f->sano

;begin eof via co-variance matrix

  neval = 4
  eof = eofunc(ss,neval,False)
  pcvar = eof@pcvar
  print(pcvar)

  end
result is:
Variable: pcvar
Type: float
Total Size: 16 bytes
            4 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes: [4]
Coordinates:
(0) 23.71038
(1) 16.73346
(2) 7.300104
(3) 7.019832

Their results are different, which influence my analysis because if old version is right the first 2 modes are significant by North test (1982), however if new version is right, the first 2 modes are not significant.

Could you help me? I prefered new version because the computing speed is very fast for large matrix. And many of my results had been based on the new version. But the result of old version seem more reasonable in physics( same with fortran programm result).

If you need this nc dataset, I can transfer to you.

Looking forward to your answer!

Thanks a lot!

Jing