Re: Convert ECMWF 60 levels Hybrid model levels to pressure levels (fwd)

From: David Stepaniak (davestep AT ucar.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 08:32:07 MST

Dennis Shea wrote:

>FYI ...
>
>Dave, do u want to answer? re: dataset availability.

>Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 01:41:19 -0800
>From: Jui-Lin Li <Jui-Lin.Li-122115@jpl.nasa.gov>
>To: ncl-talk@ucar.edu
>Subject: Convert ECMWF 60 levels Hybrid model levels to
> pressure levels
>
>Hello,
>
>I have ECMWF model level data set and would like to convert it to pressure level. I am trying to use vinth2p function. I know this function is for CCSM coordinate with p = AP+ BP(i,j)
>
>May I ask can I use this function to convert ECMWF coordinate?
>
>What I am trying is to use function vinth2p with EC's A and B but set p0mb = 1, rather than 1000mb, and pp is the surface (hPa) to convert a EC variable "temp" from its hybrid coordinate to pressure level as followed:
>
> vinth2p (temp, hyam, hybm, lev_p, pp(0,:,:), intyp, p0mb, 1, False )
>

>So far, I still cannot get it done.
>
>Would anyone give me a suggestion? Can I use vinth2p for this purpose? Is there any function for this purpose?
>
>Thanks
>
>Frank

Dear Jui-Lin,

I can handle the interpolation of ERA-40 model resolution model level
data to standard
and non-standard pressure levels as a routine DSS request. In fact this
has been done for Judith
Perlwitz at NASA-GISS. The software employed is written in Fortran 90.

I am sending you the e-mail I sent to Judith notifying her that we (DSS)
were ready to handle her
request:

> Hi again Judith,
>
> As per our conversation, DSS can now handle interpolation
> of ERA-40 model resolution model level upper air data to nonstandard
(and standard)
> pressure levels as a routine DSS request. Thus,
>
> as input from you we need:
>
> - variable, the possibilities being T, Q, W (vertical pressure
velocity), VO, D, O3, CLWC, CIWC, and CC
> - time range such as 1979 01 01 to 1979 01 10 (yyyymmdd-yyyymmdd)
> - set of nonstandard pressure levels to interpolate to (such as 11200,
13500, 21100 Pa -- note whole integers)
> (- the highest (vertically speaking) level can be 10 Pa (0.1 hPa),
but no higher)
> (- if a requested level occurs below ground (unlikely in your case),
the value of the interpolated variable
> at that grid point is set to 9.999e+20)

> The output will be a grib file containing the interpolated variable
> on a 320x160 regular Gaussian grid (nominally 1.125 degree) for
> all days, synoptic times and interpolated levels spanning the indicated
> time range.

> We can post-process this output to select only 00Z and 12Z, for example,
> but generally not subregions.

> The final product will be made available to you via our ftp server.

This particular data was 6-hourly resolution, and note that the output grid
was 320x160 regular Gaussian.

In your case we can handle monthly mean temporal resolution as well,
in addition to other (regular) Gaussian output grids.

However, in practical terms if you choose 6-hourly resolution note
that we cannot process the entire archive, but only selected segments.

Sincerely,

Dave Stepaniak

--
David Stepaniak
NCAR/SCD/DSS | Mesa Lab 113a | 303-497-1343