Re: ncl-talk Digest, Vol 16, Issue 13

From: Jing (yangjing AT mail.iap.ac.cn)
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 12:54:14 MST

Hi,Saji

Thanks for your detailed interpretation.

I also learned a lot from you.

Best regards!

Jing

======= 2005-03-18 12:01:00=======

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:58:38 -1000
From: Saji Hameed <saji@hawaii.edu>
Subject: Re: ncl-talk Digest, Vol 16, eofunc_varimax
To: ncl-talk@ucar.edu

Mike,

Jing has given you part of the answer. I will try to fill up what she
has not mentioned.

I have not tried this, but i have no reason to believe why it should not
work.

 1. eofunc_ts should be able to return your time series after varimax
rotation, the same way it does return the time series for the unrotated
eofs. I guess this function regresses (evec) on (data) to obtain the
time series.

 2. You can always calculate the percentage variance explained by a
pattern once you have (evec) and its corresponding time series and of
course the data.

     a- sum up the variance in the (data) over the same domain that you
        had specified to the eof- functions.

     b- calculate the variance associated with each (evec) pattern.
        To do this multiply evec with the time series, find the variance
         and sum it up over the domain

    c - (b/a)*100 is the percentage variance associated with each
         pattern.

A grads script that can do varimax can be found at

http://mpi-web.dkrz.de/en/misc/software/grads/varimax.gs

saji

* Jing YANG *
* International Pacific Reseach Center, UH *
* Phone (O): 808-956-7385 *
* 1680 East West RD *
* Honolulu HI 96822 *
* United states *