Re: Plot a round-shaped cloud on map

From: Mary Haley (haley AT ucar.edu)
Date: Fri May 06 2005 - 09:21:44 MDT

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Addy Fu wrote:

> Dear Everyone,
>
> I am trying to plot a map of cloud similar to the attached image with known
> radius centre of a round-shaped cloud. My output is a round cloud shape and a
> corresponding legend of the curve.
>
> Could anyone please tell me how to create the cloud shape and the curved
> legend line with NCL?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best,
> Addy

Hi Addy,

We have a couple of sets of weather fonts that you can access, and the
"wmlabs" NCL procedure allows you to draw weather labels of certain
kinds on a map, including clouds. However, I don't think we have the
particular kind of cloud that your JPEG image shows. I'll attach a
simple NCL script (and the JPEG) that shows how to use "wmlabs" to
generate a cloud on a map.

For your particular cloud and legend, both of these kind of things
could be drawn using polylines and polygons. Adam Phillips sent out a
message not too long ago showing how to draw multiple polygons on a
map, and I think you could modify this to draw your single cloud

Here's the ncl-talk message:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2005/0190.html

Meanwhile, I'd be interested to hear from others on this topic,
if they have done something similar.

--Mary

wmlabs.jpg