Re: Reading v5d file?

From: Rick Grubin (grubin AT ucar.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 11:23:39 MDT

    Hi Lou

    > I dont remember if I asked this before - is there any way to read a v5d file
    > from NCL?

    First, NCL does have some support for vis5D functionality (see below);
    please keep in mind it's for the vis5D+ branch of this software (which is
    available at vis5d.sourceforge.net) -- I think this is what you are
    referring to.

    NCL currently does not have the capabilities to read a vis5D+ file.
    Because of vis5D+'s file structure, it's not at all straightforward to
    read a complete file and map that onto NCL's underlying file and data
    structures.

    NCL does, however, have functions to write a vis5D+ file. See:
         http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/io.shtml
    and the corresponding entries for v5d_create(), v5d_write(), v5d_write_var(),
    v5d_setUnits(), v5d_setLowLev(), and v5d_close().

    -Rick.

    --
    Rick Grubin         NCAR/CISL/SCD/VETS
    Visualization + Enabling Technologies