Re: NCL and NCEP-DOE Reanalysis (R2) GRIB files

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT cgd.ucar.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 12:40:33 MDT

    >> Has anyone used NCL to convert the NCEP-DOE Reanalysis (R2) monthly
    >> atmospheric analyses in GRIB format to netCDF?
    >> The R2 fields are on a global long-lat grid (144 x 73) with a 2.5 deg of
    >> longitude resolution.
    >>
    >> John Kelley
    >> NOAA/National Ocean Service
    >> Durham, NH
    >
    >One of our data experts answered this question internally, and
    >he said I could share it with ncl-talk, so here it is:
    >
    > The NCEP/DOE Reanalysis (R2) data files are in GRIB format. You
    > should be able to convert the GRIB files into netcdf files using
    > NCL.
    >
    > Before you start the conversion, please check the following
    > site. CDC of NOAA may have what you need in netcdf files
    > already. The definitions used in the CDC's netcdf files may be
    > different from what NCL generates.
    > http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/cdc/data.ncep.reanalysis2.html
    >

    >--Mary

    Please note that CDC often stores the variables
    as type short [ie: 16 bit integers]. These must be
    scaled and have an offset added before use. In NCL,
    the following is the best approach. It uses the
    "short2flt" function located in contributed.ncl.

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/short2flt.shtml

    load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"

    begin

      f = addfile ("air.2m.gauss.1979.nc" , "r")
      t2m = short2flt( f->air )

    end

    The short2flt example illustrates a few other things
    that you might find useful.

    Regards