bar chart legends

From: David B. Reusch (dbr AT geosc.psu.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 15:31:52 MDT

    Greetings ncl users,

    I am trying to figure out how/if I can get a horizontal
    legend underneath my panel of XYBarCharts. The tricky
    part is that I want something like:
    CB1 str1 CB2 str2 CB3 str3 ... CBn strn
    where CBx is the color box and str1 is the label string
    that goes with it. that is, a line of pairs of color
    boxes and their labels.

    right now, thanks to the bar_7.ncl example (using
    gsn_label_bar_ndc), I have:
    CBn strn
    CB2 str2
    CB1 str1

    this is sort of ok (although it *is* bottom-to-top) but
    takes more space than I'd really like to use. switching
    the label bar to horizontal tries to put the labels under
    the boxes, which is not what I'm after.

    I suspect this is going to take some special manual effort
    to place the label bar elements. if so, I could use some
    help on getting at the nitty gritty. if not, I'd love to
    hear the "easier way".

    thanks,
    dave