Re: Copying NCL binaries into NCARG directories

From: Mary Haley (haley AT ucar.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 29 2005 - 08:48:27 MDT

    Don,

    This is a good question.

    The files that NCL and NCARG share are ones that rarely change, so
    it's generally okay to overwrite one set with the other.

    I believe these are the sets of files that are shared by NCARG and
    NCL:

        $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/data - data files used by examples
        $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/database - map database files and a font database
                                          file
        $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/fontcaps - files for changing fonts
        $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/graphcaps - files containging output device
                                          info for idt, ctrans, and ictrans

    Of these, the data files, fontcaps, and graphcaps haven't changed for
    years. We add new data files every now and then, but this doesn't
    affect the old ones.

    The database files that contain the map databases haven't changed for
    at least 3 years, I believe.

    As long as your versions of NCAR Graphics and NCL are not years apart,
    you should be fine. To be safe, we recommend installing the latest
    versions of NCARG and NCL, and you should have no problems.

    --Mary