Re: How to substitute or set a value for chosen grid in NCL?Plus a question in contour!

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT cgd.ucar.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 10:31:24 MDT

    > I'm learning NCL as a working script language now,
    > So maybe my qestions is simple.:)
    >
    > 1. How to substitute or define a new value during processing?
    > For example, I want a anomalies percentage, but the climate
    > mean value is zero,so I need to set such data to be a
    > missing_value or Fill_Value.

    if the variable is "x" and you want the missing value to be zero, then
              x@_FillValue = 0.0

    If you want a different missing value to be used [eg: -999.] the
              x@_FillValue = 0.0 ; identigy 0.0 as the _FillVale
              x@_FillValue = -999. ; change all 0.0 to -999.

    > Could I use a simple function or procedure to do it ?
    No need.

    > Do I have to use loops to do it for all grid ?
    Never.

    > 2. I want to get a contour map with a color fill
    > and a simple thick line(zero value) on it.

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/index.shtml
              Plot Techniques ==> Contour effects

              See Example 1

              Just set the gsnContourZeroLineThicknessF resource

              eg: res@gsnContourZeroLineThicknessF = 2.0

    > Such 3 similar are expected to be paneled. I do
    > know to use overlay to get such contour effect
    > for only one map.But how to do for 3 in one workstation?

    There are numerous panel examples:
    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/index.shtml
               Plot Types ==> Panels

    good luck