Re: opendap

From: Rick Grubin (grubin AT ucar.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 14:14:35 MDT

Hello Mike,

> Hello.  I tried the OPeNDAP example on page
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/opendap.shtml
> on tempest but it says the test is unsuccessful.  Is OPeNDAP available
> on the NCAR computers?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

OPeNDAP is a service that provides for accessing a file remotely over
the Internet, precluding the need to have the file physically located
on your home computers.

OPeNDAP is not supported on all of the platforms for which NCL is
supported, and thus it's not available in every version of NCL that the
NCL team supports. In particular, it's not supported in many 64-bit
environments.

In the case of tempest, the version of NCL there is a 64-bit binary and
is not OPeNDAP-enabled. Other NCAR hosts, such as bluesky, do have
OPeNDAP-enabled versions of NCL.

-Rick.

----
Rick Grubin      NCAR/CISL/SCD/VETS