Re: opendap

From: Rick Grubin (grubin AT ucar.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 14:57:46 MDT

A followup to my earlier posting:

> Hello Mike,
>
>> Hello.  I tried the OPeNDAP example on page
>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/opendap.shtml
>> on tempest but it says the test is unsuccessful.  Is OPeNDAP available
>> on the NCAR computers?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>
> OPeNDAP is a service that provides for accessing a file remotely over
> the Internet, precluding the need to have the file physically located
> on your home computers.
>
> OPeNDAP is not supported on all of the platforms for which NCL is
> supported, and thus it's not available in every version of NCL that
> the NCL team supports. In particular, it's not supported in many
> 64-bit environments.
>
> In the case of tempest, the version of NCL there is a 64-bit binary
> and is not OPeNDAP-enabled. Other NCAR hosts, such as bluesky, do
> have OPeNDAP-enabled versions of NCL.

While bluesky does indeed have an OPeNDAP-enabled version of NCL, it's
currently not viable to use this feature of NCL on this host.
Restrictions on incoming/outgoing traffic due to security provisions in
place prevent its use. Apologies for any confusion.

-Rick.

----
Rick Grubin      NCAR/CISL/SCD/VETS
Visualization + Enabling Technologies