Re: High pass filter

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT ucar.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 07:17:21 MDT

    > I am trying to filter out the Low-frequency signal and
    > using "wgt_runave" to compute this with lancos weights
    > But the result seem has exhibits artifical oscillation.
    >
    > if anyone can tell me how to filter out it in using NCL
    > build-in function or has any other method for the High-pass filter

    By Lancos weights, I assume you mean something like:

         nwt = 9
         fca = 0.25
         ihp = 1 ; high pass
         nsigma = 1.
         wgt = filwgts_lancos (nwt, ihp, fca, -999., nsigma)

    Then applying these weights via wgt_runave:

         yhigh = wgt_runave(y , wgt, 0 )

    Did you plot the response function of the filter?
    The required information is returned as attributes
    of wgt: wgt@freq and wgt@resp

         wks = gsn_open_wks ("x11","high_pass_filter")
         res = True
         res@tiMainString = "ihp="+ihp+" fca="+fca+" nwt="+nwt
         plot = gsn_csm_xy (wks,wgt@freq, wgt@resp,res)