Re: missing value problem

From: Mary Haley (haley AT ucar.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 16:01:00 MDT

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Chao Luo wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have some trouble for the missing value. First I setup missing value
    > to 1.e36 in the two dimensional array of soil moisture. When I reorder
    > the latitude and longitude with
    >
    > mss_val_out=1.e36
    > mss_cnc_H2O@missing_value=mss_val_out
    > vwc_sfc(0,:,:)=mss_cnc_H2O(::-1,:)
    > vwc_sfc=lonFlip(vwc_sfc)
    >
    > the missing value of vwc_sfc change to 9999 (don't know why). I want to
    > keep missing vale of vwc_sfc as 1.e36. How to do it?
    >
    > Thanks much for any help offered!
    >
    > Chao

    Hi Chao,

    NCL unfortunately does not recognize "missing_value" as a missing
    value. Rather, you need to use the "_FillValue" attribute:

         mss_cnc_H2O@_FillValue = mss_val_out

    There's a short discussion on missing values in NCL, and how to deal
    with cases where your file has "missing_value" as the missing value
    attribute. Please see:

        http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Language/fillval.shtml