WRAPIT

From: Kip Smith (wsmthcm AT cox.net)
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 14:02:09 MDT

            I now have a dual Opteron workstation running SuSE Linux 9.3 so I downloaded
    the latest versions of NCAR graphics and NCL (64 bit for PG FORTRAN). NCAR
    graphics seems to work OK. I tried to create a shared object file for running
    some NCL code and this is what happened:

    /usr/local/ncarg/bin/WRAPIT -pg ephusubs.f

    WRAPIT Version: 041106
    /usr/pgi/linux86-64/6.0/bin/pgf90
    COMPILING ephusubs.f
    LINKING
    /usr/bin/ld: WRAPIT.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not
    be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
    WRAPIT.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
    END WRAPIT

    Is the problem that WRAPIT did not compile with -fPIC or that the NCL binaries
    were not compiled with -fPIC or is it something else?

    Kip Smith