Re: view HDF file

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT cgd.ucar.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 11:38:27 MST

    >I want to view HDF file first and then use NCL to convert it to netCDF.
    >But "ncdump -h" doesn't work on my LINUX computer.Is there any way to
    >view HDF file by NCL?
    >Thanks much for any help provided!

    [1] "ncdump" is a Unidata tool that only works with netCDF files.
        Just to be clear "ncdump" has no connection with NCL.

    [2] There are numerous "flavors" of HDF. NCL accepts HDF
        that is known as "Scientific Data Set" [SDS] and
        NCL accepts HDF-EOS. What type is your HDF file?

    [3] From the command line try:

    ncl <return>

    f = addfile ("your_hdf_file.hdf", "r")
    print(f)

    If NCL can read the file, then you can use NCL to plot it.

    good luck