Re: Re: vertical lines through maps , Re: ncl-talk posting

From: Jonathan Vigh <vigh_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 12:37:17 -0700

Hi Micah,
    This sounds like a problem I had last year - thin lines or stippling
which shows up in gv (depending on whether antialiasing is turned on),
but if you print from the postscript, everything is fine. If you convert
to gif or png, the lines still show up.

Mark Stevens sent a reply which explains what is going on. I've copied
this here (see ncl-talk acrhives April 23-24, 2004 for the original
discussion):
=============================
Jonathan,

This is a problem I looked into before. The problem isn't in the
postscript plot, it arises when viewing the postscript plot or
converting it to another format. You can see this by using gv. Start gv
with the postscript file. At the top of gv there is a menu button
labeled "State". Click on the item labeled "Antialias" to turn it on or
off. With the antialias turned on the problem will be there, with the
antialias turned off the problem will go away. If you use gs I think by
default the antialiasing is off so the problem doesn't appear, but there
are options to turn it on or off.

When you use "convert" the antialiasing is by default used so the
problem is visible. You can turn it off with the +antialias option.

The real problem is that when the antialiasing is turned off the plot
area will be fine but the fonts will look really bad. Also sometimes
this problem appears and other times it doesn't. When I run scripts
sometimes I get this problem in one plot, but not in another.

Mark

So if you indeed want clean gif or png (say for web applications), I
recommend using ghostscript instead of convert for the ps->png
conversion. There are some pesky options to set to get a nice optimized
gif or png, but I've been happy with it, and I think it takes care of
this problem. My sysadmin wrote a nifty little script to do this, but I
should probably ask him first before distributing it to the masses. If
he say's okay, I'll try to remember to send it out tomorrow.

Jonathan Vigh