Re: mode?

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:03:03 -0600 (MDT)

>Is there an easy way to compute mode (statistic) in NCL?
>It would be nice if there was a dim_mode function.
>For example, if I have a variable var(lat,lon,time), how can
>I get the mode for each grid point (mode(lat,lon))?

Conceptually easy .... Not so, in practice,
See Numerical Recipies "Estimation of the Mode ..."

Are the data guaranteed to be unimodal?
What to do if you have bimodal data?

---
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/StatisticalMedian.html
"An interesting empirical relationship between
 the mean, median, and mode which appears to hold
 for unimodal curves of moderate asymmetry is given by
mean-mode = [approx] 3(mean-median)"
Hence, mode = mean - 3(mean-median)
   mean   = dim_avg_Wrap(..)
   median = dim_median(..)

   mode   = mean              ; transfer meta data
   mode   = mean - 3*(mean-median)
   mode_at_long_name = "mode [approximate]"
   mode@info      = "http://mathworld.wolfram.com/StatisticalMedian.html"
   mode_at_equation  = "mean - 3*(mean-median)"

   printVarSummary(mode)
Good luck