Re: FW: Install NCL to where?

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:38:31 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Alex,

I'm not sure what the http://wrfsi.noaa.gov/gui/faq_ncl/ instructions
say, but near the bottom of the instructions at:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml

it talks about what to do if you have both NCAR Graphics and
NCL. Rick Grubin may have already gotten back to you on this
personally, but if you plan to run both NCAR Graphics and NCL
and would like to put them in the same location, I recommend
installing the latest version of NCAR Graphics first, from:

    http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ng/download.html

and then download and install NCL in the same location.

As for your question about where to put NCL, you want to put
it under $NCARG_ROOT, and not $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl as you listed
below.

Both NCAR Graphics and NCL install files to the directories "bin",
"lib", and "include", and sometimes "man". The $NCARG_ROOT environment
variable represents the root location of these directories; for
example: $NCARG_ROOT/bin, $NCARG_ROOT/lib, and $NCARG_ROOT/include.

NCAR Graphics and NCL share some of the same files, like the font
tables and the mapping databases, and they also share some of the same
executables, like "ctrans", "idt", and "med". These executables get
installed in $NCARG_ROOT/bin, which is also where the "ncl" executable
will reside.

Hope this clears things up.

--Mary