Re: eofunc_varimax_Wrap undefined

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:22:32 -0600 (MDT)

>I am trying to use the function eofunc_varimax_Wrap to determine
>rotated EOFs, but I get:
>
> >ncl rotated_eofs.ncl
> Copyright (C) 1995-2004 - All Rights Reserved
> NCAR Command Language Version 4.2.0.a032
> The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
> See http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/ for more details.
>fatal:Undefined identifier: (eofunc_varimax_Wrap) is undefined, can't
>continue
>fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 37 in file rotated_eofs.ncl
>

>I have loaded contributed.ncl and using eofunc_varimax gives no error
>messages. Has anyone encountered this before? Maybe I am just doing
>some silly mistake?
>
>I would be most grateful for any suggestions,

There is nothing wrong with your script. The version
in contributed.ncl has a typo

undef ("eofunc_varimax_Wrap")
function eof_varimax_Wrap (eof:numeric, optEVX:logical)
          ^^^
It should be:

undef ("eofunc_varimax_Wrap")
function eofunc_varimax_Wrap (eof:numeric, optEVX:logical)
          ^^^^^^

Two options:

If

$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl

is on your local system [and I think it does] and you
have permissions, then replace that function with
[some other minor changes included.]

undef ("eofunc_varimax_Wrap")
function eofunc_varimax_Wrap (eof:numeric, optEVX:logical)
local eofEVX
begin
   eofEVX = eof
   delete(eofEVX_at_pcvar)
   eofEVX = (/ eofunc_varimax(eof, optEVX) /) ; invoke built-in function
   eofEVX_at_op = "Kaiser Varimax Rotation"
   return (eofEVX) ; return
end

option 2)

cp $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl CONTRIB.ncl

then modify CONTRIB.ncl

and in your script

load "./CONTRIB.ncl"

Good luck