month_to_season with missing data

From: Jeff Van Dorn <vandorn_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:58:27 -0500

Apologies if this has been covered before, I didn't see it in the
documentation or in my searching.

I'm trying to produce some seasonal average plots with a netCDF file
that doesn't contain data over the ocean or in Canada, yet they are
in the area that I'm interested in (the upper Northeast US).

I'm able to successfully plot the netCDF file when I issue:
"tavg@_FillValue=1e20", and the missing data areas then have no color
to them, which is cool. However, when I try to do my seasonal
averages, via:

   tavg_ts = tavg( time | 12:371, latitude | 89:189, longitude |
349:461)
   tavgDJF = month_to_season( tavg_ts, "DJF" )
   tavgDJF_avg = (/dim_avg(tavgDJF(latitude|:,longitude|:,time|:)) /)

it really seems like the missing data isn't being ignored, as I get
data (certainly invalid data) over the oceans and Canada. When I do
a printVarSummary, tavgDJF_avg does contain that proper FillValue
for the missing data:

Variable: tavgSON2070_avg
Type: float
Total Size: 45652 bytes
             11413 values
Number of Dimensions: 2
Dimensions and sizes: [101] x [113]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 1
   _FillValue : 1e+20

So, do I have to compute my seasonal means in a different manner, or
am doing something wrong above?

Thanks for any help.
Jeff Van Dorn