Re: Installation of NCL Question

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 11:08:23 MST

On Mar 4, 2011, at 10:22 AM, Quelet, Paul ext (E R WP AM TI) wrote:

> NCL Help,
>
> I have a question about installation of NCL version 6.0.0 beta on my Red Hat Linux x86_64 workstation.
>
> My Fortran compiler is pgf90 while my C compiler is gcc. I was wondering if I should download and use the precompiled binaries or building the source code directly from the .tar.gz download.
>
> I am not sure what you recommend since one of my compilers is Portland Group while the other is not. Please let me know. Thanks!!
>

> --Paul Quelet

Hi Paul,

I always recommend to users to start with the precompiled binaries, as this will be much easier than trying to download source code and installing it.

I don't actually have access to a machine that doesn't have gfortran on it, so I don't know what will happen if you try to use a gcc/gfortran compiled binary on your machine. I hope it should work, because I tried to build as statically as possible, meaning I tried to get rid of any libgfortran dependencies.

As a quick test for you to try before downloading the whole software, I created a couple of "ncl" executables for you to try. One is OPeNDAP-enabled and built under a RedHat x86_64 system, and the other is non-OPeNDAP enabled, built on a Debian x86_64 system.

To get them from our ftp system:

ftp ftp.ucar.edu
[login as anonymous with email address as password]
cd pub/scd/haley
get ncl.test
get ncl.test.nodap
quit

Once you're out of ftp, type the following to see if these executables even work.

chmod gou+x ncl.test ncl.test.nodap
./ncl.test -V
./ncl.test.nodap -V

You will likely see some errors about NCARG_ROOT not being set, but you can ignore these. I'm more interested if you get a message like:

./ncl.test: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Let me know what happens, and I'll be able to tell if you will be able to use this NCL software from a precompiled binary.

--Mary