Installation of NCL under Windows XP-SP3 using precompiled binaries and Cygwin/X Version 1.7.5

From: Norman Dreier <norman.dreier_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 13 2011 - 02:17:30 MDT

Hi there,

I tried to install NCL via the "NCL Version 6.0.0 precompiled binaries,
OPeNDAP-enabled" for Cygwin. On my system there is Cygwin/X X Server
version 1.7.5 installed. So I downloaded the file
"ncl_ncarg-6.0.0.CYGWIN_NT-6.1_i686.tar.gz" and followed the
installation instructions "Installing and running NCL under Cygwin/X
(Windows)" from the NCL-Homepage. I'm running Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647: Service Pack 3).

I extracted the binaries in the following directory:
$cd /usr/local/
$gunzip /cygwin/home/ndreier/ncl-6.0.0.CYGWIN_NT-6.1_i686.tar.gz
$tar -xvf /cygwin/home/ndreier/ncl-6.0.0.CYGWIN_NT-6.1_i686.tar

Then I edited the "C:\Programme\cygwin\home\ndreier\.bashrc" file and
set up the environment variables (in the end of the file):
export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/local
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
export DISPLAY=:0.0

After this I sourced the file via $source ./bashrc and did even a
restart of Xterm. A test via the command: $ncl -V failed and no
standard output happened. To do a graphical test I copied a testfile
"xy04n.ncl" to the local directory: $cp
$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclex/xyplot/xy04n.ncl . and run: $ncl xy04n.ncl
  but no window plot happened. I got no warnings or error messages, so I
have no idea how to solve the problem. The "ng4ex" script is running but
fails while running ncl:
$ng4ex gsun02n
>NCAR Graphics NCL Example <gsun02n>
>This example was set up to display the output to an
>X11 window.

>Copying gsun02n.ncl

>Running NCL...

>ncl failed.

Other applications like emacs, ddp, gnuplot etc. are opening new
X-windows, but this does not work for ncl. So I guess the problem can be
the precompiled binaries? Are there other experiences with this type of
installation?

Regards,
Norman