Re: WRF_NCL installation

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 20:44:50 -0700 (MST)

Hi Jax,

We've received a number of questions from folks who are downloading
WRF-related software and running into problems with the
"make_ncl_fortran.xxx" scripts. These scripts (for those of you that
are not familiar with them) take a Fortran file that does some kind of
data processing, and creates a *.so file that can be loaded by NCL.
This, in turn, allows you to call the Fortran routine directly from
the NCL script.

To make a long story short, I've contacted one of the folks who is
responsible for this software to let her know that these scripts can
be greatly simplified and even condensed into one single script so you
don't have to pick the appropriate one and execute it.

Meanwhile, instead of running your script to create the
"wrf_user_fortran_util_0.so" file, try running this:

    WRAPIT wrf_user_fortran_util_0.f

WRAPIT is a robust shell script that tries to figure out what kind
of system you are on (Sun, Linux, MacOSX, etc), what compilers
you have access to (cc, f77, g77, gcc, etc), and then it
executes all the appropriate commands to create the *.so file.

By using WRAPIT, you don't need to worry about the
"make_ncl_fortran.xxx" files, and you hopefully won't need to edit
anything to give it the correct compilers and options.

For more information on WRAPIT, please see:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/NclExtend.shtml#WRAPIT

I think the documentation for this *extremely* handy application is
too buried in the Reference Manual, and I've added to my list of
things to do to create a better page for it.

--Mary