Re: reading ascii grid data

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:25:29 -0700

Hello all,

This was worked out offline but I thought some of you might be
interested in the solution. Jeff had data on a regular .125 x .125
degree grid covering only the northeast US (and not Ontario/western
Quebec or the Atlantic Ocean)... Thus, the ascii file only contained
grid points that had data, which was a complication.

The simplest approach was to set up a new array that spans from
min(lat)->max(lat) and from min(lon) to max(lon), complete with lat/lon
coordinate variables. One could then use coordinate subscripting to
place the data in the final array. (This approach will result in areas
that will be set to _FillValue, western Quebec for instance...)

Note that the method below wouldn't have worked if the grid was not
easily defined using the min/max lats/lons and the grid intervals.

a = asciiread("hadcm3_A1_1961.out",(/3862,3/),"float")
lats = a(:,0)
lons = a(:,1)

numlat = floattointeger(((max(lats)-min(lats))/.125)+1) ; # of lat pts
numlon = floattointeger(((max(lons)-min(lons))/.125)+1) ; # of lon pts
lat = fspan(min(lats),max(lats),numlat) ; create 1D lat array
lon = fspan(min(lons),max(lons),numlon) ; create 1D lon array
delete(lats)
delete(lons)

lat_at_units = "degrees_north"
lon_at_units = "degrees_east"
lat!0 = "lat"
lat&lat = lat
lon!0 = "lon"
lon&lon = lon

finarr = new((/dimsizes(lat),dimsizes(lon)/),"float",-999.)
finarr!0 = "lat"

finarr&lat = lat
finarr!1 = "lon"
finarr&lon = lon

do gg = 0,dimsizes(a(:,0))-1 ; loop thru each line, use
coordinate ; subscripting to place data in finarr
    finarr({a(gg,0)},{a(gg,1)}) = (/ a(gg,2) /)
end do

Adam